Monday, May 28, 2007

First pass at Seth Godin’s book The Dip

It's only 80 pages. It's only quarter inch thick. At first glance you may not think there is any substance to this book at all. But you would be wrong. The reason? Seth has removed all the fluff a book usually has. He gets right to the point. It causes one to reflect on the path you are on, and decide, right now, no delay, to make a change if one is necessary, or "stick" to the course, or the Dip as he calls it, and see the process through.

A couple of things really hit me as I read the whole book yesterday. One, people get scared so they quit. They run out of money so they quit. They run out of time so they quit. I've come up on all three of these. Seth also coins a phrase, Serial Quitter. Someone who is always quitting when things get tough, or scary, or painful. I see this a lot, not only with myself but from others as well. I think it's one of the reasons there are so many failures in small business today.

I'm reading it again. Will study more closely the factors and the resolutions. Take inventory of my own path. Which projects are important, which aren't.

But the best part of this while experience so far has been the question; Are you the very best at what you are doing? If not, quit, right now, today.

More after I read this book several more times. Thanks to Ash Buckles for the book. I'm glad Ash and Phil Burns are as excited about it as I am.
Share this article

1 comments:

  1. I believe I should read this book. I agree some of the point you said above.
    "One, people get scared so the quit. They run out of money so they quit. They run out of time so they quit. "

    In my business I see people do so. They quit and give up easily because scared, run out of money or family problem.

    In my believe, There is no problem without solution. Don't quit, Just think how to solve problem. Just like Stephen R.Covey said in the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, "Begin with End in mind".

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.