Monday, August 8, 2005

The library isn’t quite anymore

I went to the library tonight in hopes of finding a quite place to start writing down some ideas for the first chapter of my book. The library I frequent is one of the largest and busiest in the city and it's a Monday night, which always means lost of people.

When I was growing up I remember the librarian's shushing anyone if they were talking to loud or asking them to leave if they got out of hand. Not any more. There were at least 8 library staff members in the main area of the library and the noise level was so bad that I couldn't even concentrate. They were basically ignoring the noise.

The question I always have is why? Is it impossible to keep people from talking at a level so distracting? Is the library staff to timid to ask people to keep quite?

I will cover something similar in the first chapter of my book, respect and boundaries, which most kids and adults seem to have forgotten exists.

Filed under:
Share this article

1 comments:

  1. Hmmm... interesting thoughts. It seems that society has started to value the rights of each individual above the rights of society in general. It's more important for the individuals in the library to be able to speak loudly than it is for everyone in the library to be able to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.