Monday, May 29, 2006

Career change: first 90 days

I remember when I was little, I used to walk around telling people I was going to grow up and be this, or that, but never really knew what any of those things were except maybe a Police Officer or Fireman. When I was 12 or 13 my father bought me a Commodor VIC20. It came with all the cool stuff, tape storage, a basic compiler, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I spent the better part of a summer typing every line of code I could find from the manuals, computer magazines and books. It was awesome. I knew right then I wanted to be a programmer. I didn't know how or what that meant but I was hooked.

I suppose many young men who grew up in the late 70's early 80's were hooked on computers. It opened doors, and heck, even let us create doors, which lead to long time careers in the computer field. Aside from the old iron and many of the headless computers of the 70's I've pretty much seen it all and been part of it all.

Lately, I've been involved with a company who sells a software program that has given companies the ability to control security and use of mobile computers. It's amazing the things I've seen and been a part of. The amount of intelligence required to come up with and build computer software these days is amazing. I've worked with some of the best minds to bang out code. I wish I had half their ability.

As changes are an everyday occurrence in the computer industry, it's time a made a change of my own. I'm heading down a new path that isn't directly related to anything computers. Yes, I will be able to use my skill set to help past clients and even help new clients, but that isn't what I will be doing on a daily basis any more. I've learned a lot more about business over the past 20 years than just how to write code. So that's where I am focusing my attention; building and improving business.

I'll continue to have my finger on the pulse of the computer world, stay in touch with my network, and build new relationships that will help me succeed in this new world. I have every confidence this is the right thing and is what will take me to the next level.

So I'll try and document my ramp up in this new position over the next 90 days and beyond. I was told that you have 90 days to get your stuff together in a new position or it will be an uphill battle the entire time. So I know how important it is to make an impact as quickly as possible. And that's what I intend to do.
Share this article

1 comments:

  1. "When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses of action you should take - choose the bolder."
    - William Joseph Slim

    "This may sound too simple, but is great in consequence. Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, the providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:

    "'Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'
    "

    - W. H. Murray in The Scottish Himalaya Expedition, 1951

    Congratulations to you, Thom, for your boldness and your commitment.

    You'll change the world.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.