Friday, May 26, 2006

St. George Triathlon - SGTRI

My wife was courages enough to train for an finish her first Triathlon. I spent several months training with her, and although I didn't participate, it was very fun and I had a blast. My effort in this whole endeavor was the support person. I helped make sure all the gear arrived, the bike was in good shape, and she had all the food and drink she needed.

Everything was going good, until the morning of the race. I figured I would get up, run across the street from our Hotel room and pick up some scrambled eggs and oatmeal from the Village Inn. Where we live, Village Inn is open 24/7, so I didn't count on walking out the front door at 4AM to see all the lights off. Crap, now what do I do? So I started walking up and down the main road to see if there was anything open. And as luck would have it, there wasn't. So I was faced with getting something from the corner gas-n-mart.

After picking up some power bars, water and gum, I run back to the room and made her eat and drink. Hydration was the key since it was going to be near 100 degrees F. during the race.

For Her, all went well. She took her time with the goal to just finish. And that she did. Time from start to finish was 2:59:56. She wanted to finish under 3 hours and she did. Awesome job honey.

Here are some pics from the race:

Just out of the water one and two.
One the run.
General race pictures during the race.


Even though everything turned out well for us, there was a problem with another athlete, who ended up dying after the swim portion of the race. You can read more about there here.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.