Saturday, June 21, 2008

This Is My Place

A few months ago I met Michael Calanan at a Photowalk Utah meet-up. I follow his Flickr account and find him to be an excellent photographer. Not too long ago he started a project called "This is their place". The basic premise is, he invites someone to give him background on their favorite place in the Salt Lake valley, he meets them at their place, and takes several portrait shots. I thought it would be fun to participate, and so I volunteered. Michael graciously said yes, and although it took us several weeks to get our schedules to meet up, we were finally able to complete the shoot.

Here is a link to Michael's site where he posts the results. He did a fantastic job. I hope Michael didn't care I was a motor mouth. I was standing there letting him take pictures, so I thought the least I could do was say something. I also had a hard time deciding what to do with my hands. I see in the pictures I have them in my pocket a lot. Now I wonder if it's something I do when I'm nervous.

I've never had my picture taken this way before. And while Michael is using this project to improve his skills (and he has plenty of skill), I appreciate the end result. A nice set of photos I can use anywhere. Thank you Michael for taking time to do this.

Learn more about Michael, his photography, and the "This is their place" project.
Share this article

5 comments:

  1. Adam DunfordJune 21, 2008

    Thom--

    That is a very cool project--and I learned something new, too. I always pictured you as a brass guy, but you played strings instead? As someone who took viola for a year, I think that's pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to meet you, Thom, thanks for participating.

    You may have your motor mouth but I have a newly-embigened head hanks to you!

    - mike

    calanans last blog post..Photowalking Utah Event

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    Embiggen, sorry man, I actually had to look that up. But glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam,

    Yeah, never really got into the brass or wood instruments. I loved strings, there was a connection with the sound. I don't know, something. I do enjoy listening to a good Sax player though.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously great photo series. My favorite shot is the wide angle one showing you at the right, metal sculptures in the foreground, and blue SLC skies amongst refections of buildings distorted by the Abravanel Hall windows in the background. Brilliant shot!

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.