Saturday, June 20, 2009

Elevator Pitch 1.0

In a post from yesterday, I talked about my lack of an elevator pitch. I also admitted that I have a really hard time conveying what I actually do. This post is a simple explanation. It’s a work in progress. But here is the short direct answer:

I’m a programmer, and I run a company called PressDev. We are web designers and developers. We also build iPhone and social network applications, and create customized WordPress sites. This is what I do. And I do it really well.

If you don’t read any further, I’ve shared with you what I do. Without sounding like a resume, I’ll share some details, if you please.

Yes, I’ve done a lot of things. So far I’ve led a diverse life. I’ve traveled the world. I’ve worked for very small companies and very large companies. I spent four years in the United States Marine Corps in the mid eighties. Honestly, that experience shaped who I am today. It’s where I learned to lead by example, work in a team environment, and make decisions quickly.

I’ve spent over 20 years writing computer software. Yes, I write computer code. Most of the time in Microsoft C# and PHP, and even sometimes in Python. I’ve managed small and large teams. I’ve managed offshore development teams. I’ve architected complete software solutions.

In order to be an expert at something, I believe you must immerse yourself in it. Personally I’ve spent years building a career network. I think that’s why I find so much value in services like Twitter, Facebook, and blogging. I was a very early adopter of LinkedIn. I’m an early adopter of most technology. That’s how I stay ahead. And while my business isn’t being an expert in marketing using Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn, I spend a lot of time using the social networks so I can help my customers best use the services in their personal or business life.

I also like to speak in technology topics. I’ve spoken dozens of time to small and large audiences. I love the share my knowledge.

I’m also an entrepreneur. My mind never stops thinking though ideas and try getting them off the ground. That may be why some people are confused at what I do. It’s interesting, because if you look at someone like Gary Vaynerchuk, he does a lot of things, but you still think of him as the Wine Library guy. No matter what I’m doing, my core is still the same.

Whew, I’m sure that’s about all I want to share in this post. Go ahead, ask questions. Tell me what you think.

Share this article

2 comments:

  1. Thom,

    I have two questions.

    How on earth did you get to be so awesome? And, do you think there is a chance that I could one day be as awesome as you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes my friend, years of practice will allow you to be as awesome as myself. Keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.