Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Business Of Writing Group

Like most writers, I want to spend more time writing, and focus on building a long term writing career, but I know just writing isn't enough. There is a business to writing. And if this part is ignored your successes will be limited. Off the top of my head I can think of marketing, selling, social network interactions, accounting, contracts, and negotiations. Writing something only get's you part of the way there.

The last few writing conferences I've attended have all been about the act of writing. I don't know if this is planned, or just coincidence. But I have to think the hundreds of people attending these conferences have no clearly defined plan for building a business writing. Why aren't there any panels or presentations on the business of writing? I'm creating an outline for this exact panel, and I'll pitch it to a few conferences. Must eat my own dog food. And I have a lot of great ideas to share.

Here is the kind of group I want to start or participate in. One that's not about writing, but the business of writing. The legal and technical aspects of writing. The things that will help me build a good writing business. I don't think you should have to do this alone. There are so many resources out there, but a group of people with the same interests and goals have tremendous value. Not to mention meeting other writers, and learn from their experiences.

For example, when negotiating with an agent or publisher, what are the top things you should be concerned with. Beyond money, what are authors typically offered or expected to do? What should an author expect f the agent or publisher? Pitch sessions.

I guess since it's my idea I should do more research on the subject. Find out who would be interested in participating, and more importantly sharing their insights. Once I have enough interest I will push for a public meetup for all writers to confabs learn.

Maybe there is already a group like this in my city. I just haven't found it yet. But if there is I'm looking for you.

Posting this via e-mail from Barnes and Noble.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.