Friday, April 1, 2011

30-day Geek Challenge | Day 1 - Very First Geek

This post is part of my ‘30-day Geek Challenge‘.  As I stated, the order isn’t important, and I might not do one every day.  Feel free to make your own list, or copy mine and participate.  Should be a lot of fun!

This one is pretty easy for me. My first geek experience was with my neighbor, who just so happened to work for a very large computer company. I apologize, I can't remember his name, but I have never forgotten how he changed my life.

I would say it was 1978 or 1979 (somewhere around there), he introduced me to... wait for it... the TRS-80! I was hooked. I wasn't really in a position to afford one of my own, so I spent as much time as I could hanging out with him and learning what I could.

I remember getting RadioShack catalogs and drooling all over the pages displaying the latest PC's. I would go into the stores, and stand there for what seemed like ever, just playing. I wanted one of my own in a big a way. I don't know what it was, but my brain just clicked. It was my calling.

My Father took my first geek experience to the next level, by coming home one day with a Commodore VIC 20. Far cry from a TRS-80, but it was mine. And I devoured it. Soon I moved to the Commodore 64. A little more power, a lot more fun. And I was on my way. More than 30 years has passed, and I'm still pounding the keyboards.

That was my first geek experience. What was yours?
Share this article

1 comments:

  1. [...] Thom Allen Weblog Open Discussion On Software Development Skip to content HomeEventsSpeakingConferencesWritingAbout ThomDisclaimerContact Thom ← Amazon CloudPlayer Fail On iOS 30-day Geek Challenge | Day 1 – Very First Geek → [...]

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.