Saturday, April 12, 2014

Smelling The Roses

Over the past month and a half I feel like I've been on the worlds largest roller coaster, with no end in sight. Long downward drops, steep uphill climbs, fast corners that rip your head back and to the side, all the while trying to remain calm and optimistic.

I've spoken to many of you personally, through email, and text message. Keeping in contact with my friends and family are important to me. I don't want to be unplugged, unreachable, or locked away. I've received hundreds of prayers, well wishes, letters of encouragement, and tokens of support and friendship. You will never know or understand how much this helps me get through each day.

Connecting with each of you is just as therapeutic for me as I assume it is for you. I could not imagine trying to fight this fight without all of you at my side. I want everyone who is interested to know what's happening and stay connected (I assume that's the case if you are reading this.) And while I will continue to share updates and what is happening next, the level of detail is not important, in fact it causes me stress because I'm not able to answer everyone's questions, you guys are a smart bunch of cookies.

As I had mentioned a few days ago, we had a very important and critical meeting with a doctor to discuss the mountain of test data and talk about surgical options. We had the meeting. We talked about each option and each possibility. The bottom line after the meeting was it's a tough call. I don't want this to come across as a negative why me, why me, discussion. The plain truth is, this is a tough cancer, in a tough spot, combined with other health issues I have, makes surgery an even tougher and more risky proposition than we had hoped. And of course chemo and radiation are on the table as well. Neither is fun, and neither are the ultimate answer, because there just isn't one. It's picking the lesser of two evils so I can continue to fight a good fight.

One thing I've tried to remember is no one is to blame for this cancer, except possible choices I've made with my health. I'm not questioning my faith in God, not blaming God or anyone else for that matter.  I don't have time, patience, or energy to blame. As most of my friends and family will attest, I'm someone who wants to move fast. I'm ready, have been ready, for several weeks, to get a treatment plan underway.

Please understand things like stage, phase, life expectancy, percentage, time frame, aren't important for our discussions. That's personal and private, and only cause me and my family stress having to discuss them over and over again. My sweet wife is dealing with something far beyond what either of us could have imagined at this time in our life. I'm heartbroken the worry, stress, and uncertainty this brings her, and the tough decisions we need to make. I'm heartbroken my children have to experience worry, stress and uncertainty about this as well.

I'm smelling the roses while I still can. Everyday grows more precious. I'm not worrying about the coulda, shoulda, wouldas. Doing the things we keep putting off for another day. That day is here.
Share this article

8 comments:

  1. Tina HatchApril 13, 2014

    God bless. All our love and support is with you. Do what is best for your family, and don't worry about the rest of us. We are grateful that you've given us this much consideration. Have your beautiful wife call me if she needs a girl's night to simply get away for a while. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are amazing. Thank you for your example and strength. Our hearts, thoughts, and prayers are with you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Thom,

    Just wanted you to know that Mary and I are praying for you, your wife, and family. I am reading your blog updates and hoping for some great news. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help you through this.

    Your friend,
    Jim Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan AllenApril 13, 2014

    We love you guys so much son, and are here for you for anything you need us to do. We have so much enjoyed our visits with you these past few days. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought about you a lot this weekend Thom. You and your dear family are in my prayers and every fast. I loved reading this entry - you are eloquent and articulate with your thoughts and overflowing with wisdom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you so much Dad! You have always been so strong in my eyes as a child and even more so today! You have taught me so much, especially the last few months about family, faith, love, strength, courage, determination, overcoming fear and how strong our family bond really is! I'm so grateful for you and that my sawyer gets to have you for his papa! We love you!!! Keep fighting!!! #thomstrong

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thom...seriously not telling me? Well, glad you have a good outlook on the whole thing and hope we get to hang out more soon! Miss your witt and sarcasm, though you probably don't miss mine! HA

    ReplyDelete
  8. […] post is an update on where I am and what the future holds. In my lat post, I mentioned I was waiting for all the tests to come back (even a few after the last post update, two separate […]

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.