Wednesday, September 1, 2004

Gmail from Google.com, cool

I finally got a Gmail account. I don't know why it's such a big deal, I mean 1GB of storage space, mail threads, labeing much more... FOR FREE! I discovered a cool toolbar feature called Gmail Notifier (here) and installed it. Let's me see when mail comes in (since Gmail is web based, I don't need a browser open), and I can respond to mail links in web pages from an IE plug-in. This is pretty cool stuff...

I also found a program called GmailFS, I think, that lets someone with a Linux box set up a connection to use the Gmail account space as storage, basically creating a hosted offsite back up system. It might be cool to have a Linux box just to see this work.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.