Sunday, October 2, 2005

Free software isn’t really free

<soapbox>
If you're going to offer free software, just let me download it. If you want my email address to so you can make some money selling it to spammers, tell me, I'm likely to give you a throw away email address anyway. But when you want me to fill in my address, date of birth, income level, gender, and numerous other things that you obviously have no reason to have, you just piss me off and make me not want to try your software. If I like I'm going to pay. If I don't I won't. But
asking me all kinds of personal information will always make me lie or try something else.
</soapbox>

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I really wanted to try this recommended software program called Cmap. But just as I stated above, if you want too much information just to download a program you're going to give me for free then you're not really giving it to me for free. Information isn't cheap and personal information is very expensive. Try again my friends. And for anyone else out there requiring a large amount of personal data just to download, why don't you give Sourceforge.net a try. At least I know you really support an open source or free software model.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.