Saturday, February 25, 2006

My first attempt at a podcast

I tried my hand at podcasting today. It was very interesting. I spent some time searching the internet for software and other pointers to get me started. The idea behind my podcast is a specific music genreand so it wasn't too difficult to get content. Once I had a few pieces of software I started recording.

First I wrote a small script. Read it into the mic and played it back to hear what it sounded like. I hate hearing my self recorded; I don't think it sounds anything like me.

I started playing with music fade in, music fade out, imported a few mp3's, and then stitched everything together. After about 2 hours and 9 different records I made something that sounded pretty good.

My attempt at this is due in part to my desire to host a very well known podcast that has been without a regular host for quite some time. I really want to do this. I am pretty familiar with the genre, I have all the technology, and I think I will only get better when it comes to editing and content. What I lack is a comfortable voice. I seemed to be very nervous even though I was the only one who would ever hear this recording.

I did send an email to a friend asking for some feedback. He was kind, but had the same conclusion I did and that was my voice sounded scripted. So, I think next time instead of trying to read from a script, I'll jotdown some notes, take some time to think about what I want to say, and then just have a conversation. That's what I think will really make a difference, having a conversation with the listener. I am producing a music podcast so I should be having a conversation about the tracks and the artists.

I'll be making new categories for the podcasts and trying various things out while I get more comfortable. I would appreciate any feed back you could give.

Here is a list of sites and software I found to get me started, I'm sure it will change.

[1] Recording a Podcast
[2] Magnatune.com
[3] Audacity for Windows
[4] Podomatic

Del.icio.us :

Share this article

1 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I just starting to experiment with podcasting and stumbled across this post while doing research. Good luck with your podcasting plans.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.