Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thinking about writing a book

I've had this idea about writing a series of books. My Father actually put the seed in my head. His idea was very simplistic and made some sense, but of course I felt like I had no time for a new project.

My thoughts have been on what value could I offer in a book, and what would the topics be. My Fathers idea? "Write about what you know. You're a successful Father, raising children, working a job, running a business. You have a lot of experience and insight that could be shared." He's right I do. I have all of those things. But what value could they be to other "Fathers" or prospective "Fathers"?

A few days ago I was watching a television and noticed several shows had portrayed men in general, but focused on Fathers, that we weren't dependable, we were mean, couldn't love our children, and would most likely abandon our families for the "good life". The good life being a dead end job in a rat infested apartment on the wrong side of town and can't make child support payments.

There are far too many Fathers who go above and beyond for their families. Many who go un-noticed, un-thanked and completely selfless. This is the type of stories I want to write about. Positive male role models. I'm not talking about billionaire athletes or platinum musicians. I'm talking about real life every day hero's, Dad's, the ones who carry families on their backs, and do it with the love and gratitude every day. It's where they want to be and there is nothing more important than making sure his family has everything they need.

So hopefully I can get some ideas flowing. I hope to use my blog here to start. I could use comments, encouragement, stories, experiences. Share with me what makes you, the Dad, want to be a Dad.

Filed in: |
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.