Thursday, July 28, 2005

Follow up to rolling my own categories

I spent some time yesterday researching how others have implemented categories when using Blogger. Freshblog provided the best resources, for me anyway, on the subject. There were several choices and many other links to Blogger hacks.

So the scenario basically works like this. Because Blogger doesn't support categories, and I wanted to give my readers (um, the one guy who stops by every so often) a way to search for specific topics without having to read through all the archives. Setting out to find a solution brought me to Freshblog.

I first thought I could just add some categories as text at the bottom of each post then my site could be searched for key words. But, that was a lot of work. There were too many manual process that needed to take place. Still, even with the process I have now it takes a couple of manual steps to get categories but I like the outcome.

So today I thought, it would be nice to take the implementation of the blogger/del.icio.us hack and add it to wBloggar. Nice tool for publishing, and if I could add the categories feature in one process, it would be so much nicer. It should be pretty easy. All you would need is to add a couple of entries in the configuration for del.icio.us and a field on the entry form to add categories. Or better yet, just make them a drop down, queried from del.icio.us and your user name.

I might even consider building a tool just to try it out. Now I need to search for the Blogger API and give it a whirl.

Filed in: |
Share this article

1 comments:

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.