Saturday, July 15, 2006

When I tell you your web site is broken, it is

I've been involved with software development for many many years. I've done everything from writing code to testing products. I think I've learned what a really good interface is and how to make them better. So, when I stop by your web site and tell you that I think it's fantastic, has a lot of great content, plenty of reasons to come back, but clicking on the links to each menu header returns a 404 error, I'm telling you the truth. Don't come back and tell me that there couldn't be anything wrong, I was just using the web site this morning.

First, I don't take the time, every time, to let a webmaster know there is an issue with their site. But on occasion, I think its important enough that I send a quick note so the errors can be fixed and you quite looking like a bunch of morons who know nothing about web sites. Second, if someone is courteous enough to actually tell you you have a problem, don't make them feel stupid or tell them thier crazy; or ask if you can help them buy something?

Ha, I think not. You can't kick you customer in the balls then ask them to buy something from you.

Chris Prillo has a great post on Feedbacking. A process to help users and developers communicate easier. I love it. Great thought Chris.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.