Sunday, July 23, 2006

The vision for this blog… would I do it again?

Over at ProBlogger, Darren has started a great thread asking the question, would you run your blog the same way? It is an interesting question. I've enjoyed reading how many other well known bloggers answered the question. Now Darren has put the question out to all his readers. So, I thought I would take a stab at it.

When I first started blogging, back in 2002, I remember the terror attacks of September 11, 2001 were still fresh on every ones mind, including mine. I'm a former United States Marine. I'd been out of the service for quite some time when the attacks happened but my sense of duty was running high. I knew I wasn't in a position to re-join my brothers, but I could be vocal about supporting them.

I was reading a copy of Java Developers Journal when I came across an article by the editor, Alan Williamson, and he mentioned a "blogging" service his company started called blog-city.com. So I did some poking around, and started my first blog. It was all about military stuff, specifically, Marines. I had a pretty good little following. It's something I discovered happens when your blog is part of a community. You tend to have a lot of readers from that community. But as time went on I expanded the blog to cover other issues, and inevitably, hosting my own blog with WordPress.

The question then, would I do it all over again, I would have to answer with a resounding yes. I've learned more over the past several years because of my association with blogs than at any other time in my life. My current blog, digitalthom.com, is going through a sort of transition. From something that was a hobby, to something that will actually make me money. I don't want to be a professional blogger like Darren, but I do think my blog can be an integral part of my business.

The things I would do differently would be to have better meta words, better content, and longer relevant posts. Something that would continue to draw people in. I've really been looking at AdSense (because there appears to be a lot of people making money), so, I'm trying to figure out the best way to implement it in my blog.

So yeah, I'd do it all over. For starters I would be a little more focused on what I know and how I can add value, but at the end of the day I'd still be doing this stuff. I'm really getting into podcasting and hope to expand my blog readership by expanding my podcasting.

Thanks Darren for giving others the opportunity to share.
Share this article

9 comments:

  1. I love wordpress as well. I think you can always write more content and add better meta words as you progress, it's not necessarily that just because you didn't do it from the very beginning, that you can't change now. Anyway, great entry, mine is here if you would like to read as well - http://lilduckduck.com/archive/187

    ReplyDelete
  2. Longer posts? I think not. They're long enough as it is. Meta words can easily be fixed. Adsense and Chitika are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] The vision for this blog… would I do it again? by Thom [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thom, thanks for stopping by my blog. I like WordPress too. However, the biggest drawback is that everything is live. I'm use to working on a development site prior to content going live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hesitated about adsense on my site, put it on and didn't make any money, took it off and then put it back on again. I make hardly anything but hey, if it covers just my hosting costs then that's a bonus.

    Just make sure you write good content so that you get targetted ads and you'll be laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] The vision for this blog… would I do it again? by Thom [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thom,
    I jumped over here from problogger and enjoyed reading your post. I hope your podcasting goes well. I'm also learning to rework my meta and keywords as well. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you Thom on blogging about things that you know about. This authority will elevate you above the generic posting that becomes the norm. It's better to make an authoritive post once a week then just post for the sake of posting every day.

    By monetizing your site even the odd click will generate some cash that will help towards the hosting fees. Better to have some than none and with the adsense plugin it's an easy deal.

    Thanks for popping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] The vision for this blog… would I do it again? by Thom Allen. It struck a chord — you can feel the passion Thom put into this post. [...]

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.