Sunday, December 31, 2006

SKYPE: To pay or not to pay

I've been taking advantage of the free calls Skype allowed over the past several months. I used it often, only because I have a great headset to that sounds pretty good on the other end. But now that the dance is over, I need to decide if the service is actually worth paying for. So let me draw out some observations:

1. The sound quality wasn't too bad. There we're a few small glitches, but too many.
2. A lot of the time people wouldn't answer their phone, especially on a cell phone, when they saw the number 00123456789 as the incoming number,m I probably wouldn't either.
3. I don't have a lot of friends using Skype. A few, but not a lot, and most of the ones that do use Skype, don't have headsets readily available (which sorta defeats the purpose of being logged into Skype).
4. I like the fact I could be anywhere with a high speed connection and make outbound phone calls. But as a traveling business person, meaning, I'm not in my office all that often, it would be nice to of Skype to offer a business package (inbound, outbound, forwarding) or suite, that didn't cost a fortune. I would probably pay for that.

So, my conclusion, I probably won't pay for outbound only Skype. It's not a complete solution for me. Maybe I'll look to add the Vonage V-Phone to mobile office.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.