Thursday, December 3, 2009

Looks Like Fancy Commenting Systems Don’t Rule

Over the past week I have been running a poll asking what WordPress commenting systems people like. The options were Disqus, IntenseDebate, Native – built in, or None. Here is how it broke down:

  • 59% of respondents preferred native commenting to a third party system.
  • 25% of respondents preferred Disqus.
  • 16% of respondents preferred IntenseDebate.

These are completely un-scientific results. I’ll continue to run the poll to see if I can get more results, and I’ll update this post, or if the overall results change, I’ll write up something new.

What I find interesting is those who answered picked the native commenting system. Some of the things I would like to know is why? With the third party commenting systems providing log-ins for Facebook, Twitter, OpenID and others, the appeal to use these Social Network links doesn’t seem to be a draw.

I don’t particularly care one way or the other what commenting systems people use. I have Disqus installed on this blog, if for no other reason than I like being able to track and manage my comments on this and other sites who use Disqus.

Here’s a thought though. It would be cool to use a Gravatar type system, where your comments are tied to your email address, pinged back to a service, and then you can manage and track your comments on a wider range of sites.

My friend Scott Lemon (@humancell) also suggested another commenting system called Echo, you get more information on it here http://js-kit.com/.

If you would like to participate in my poll, please check it out here http://ow.ly/Hxj1.

Share this article

2 comments:

  1. I think the native systems are simpler combined with that nobody has really "killed" the comment system possibilities yet anyway... maybe I don't know of one, but I'd like to see a comment system that trolls for comments about the post made on {INSERT SOCIAL NETWORK/LIFESTREAM HERE} and inserts that comment as a comment on my posts. Gather the things people are talking about (about the post, a-la tweetmeme) and bring them back to my blog.

    WAIT, @echo seems to do that (I just saw your link).

    Oh, @echo wants you to pay for it. Seriously? No free edition for my personal teeny blog site? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the native systems are simpler combined with that nobody has really "killed" the comment system possibilities yet anyway... maybe I don't know of one, but I'd like to see a comment system that trolls for comments about the post made on {INSERT SOCIAL NETWORK/LIFESTREAM HERE} and inserts that comment as a comment on my posts. Gather the things people are talking about (about the post, a-la tweetmeme) and bring them back to my blog.

    WAIT, @echo seems to do that (I just saw your link).

    Oh, @echo wants you to pay for it. Seriously? No free edition for my personal teeny blog site? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.