Friday, July 2, 2010

Library Systems Need To Adopt The Netflix Model


Last week I read an article from a Twitter link (thanks Zach), about Libraries being a waste. I've been thinking about that statement for a few days now, and I must admit I agree. Most library systems are antiquated and cost more to run than they are worth. It's time for an overhaul.

I've been a library user all my life. There are incredible resources available, but the simple fact is most people have no idea what's there. Libraries aren't just books anymore. You can find everything from Music CD's to your local newspapers. More and more libraries are offering digital content, consumable on devices like the iPod or MP3 player. Libraries also offer access to large research databases, this was a surprise to me, and I've used this service on many occasions.

But let's get down to the reality of how most people are using the library these days. Internet access and free video rental (an un-scientific observation). I visited three facilities this week, and at each one, there were more people using the computers, with it's free Internet access, than were looking for books. I casually walked around glancing at what people were doing, and most were using Facebook, or email, or doing some sort of Internet search.

The next largest congregation of people were in movie and music sections. And as sad as it was to see, very few people were looking at books, except in the books on tape/cd. Here is what I think Cities and Counties should do with their libraries.

Go 100% Digital or Deliver
Almost every book that is published also has a digital counterpart. Libraries could save enormous amounts of money by investing in digital assets rather than paper books. Have you looked at some of the technology books on the shelves lately? I've seen books that help someone use Windows ME. What the? While literary books are timeless, the shelves are filled with many books that become irrelevant in a short amount of time. But the libraries insist on leaving them to take up space. Wasted space.

Another benefit to digital is no replacement costs. If a CD/DVD is broken, you have to buy another copy. If a book is torn, or lost, again, you have to buy another copy. Don't get me started on VHS movies in libraries. Who has a VHS machine? The cost of buying and replacing VHS movies is another cost libraries can do without.

If a library really wants to provide physical books, ones you can't get a digital version for, I say offer to ship the book to a patron. They could even charge a fee for shipping the book, or turn one of the now vacant libraries into a distribution hub, or a drop/off pickup point. Force everyone to check out books through the Internet, solving the problem of spending money to be an Internet Cafe, and a stale book shelf.

Partner With Content Service Providers
Rather than keep old VHS or even old DVD's around, partner with a Netflix type of service to offer disk checkout. The cost can't be much more than paying for hundreds of copies of the same movie. Plus you get the added benefit of the partner managing the distribution. Win! Now patrons can check out Blu-ray disks, and I'm not sure if libraries are even offering Blu-ray movies at the moment. Again, a sign that libraries are falling behind in providing relevant and timely content to the people who pay to keep it running.

As a tax payer, in my City anyway, I think libraries are a wast of money. I would rather check stuff out online, get digital versions, or have something shipped to me rather than spend time running around the library building. Managing workers at the library is another discussion, but I see a lot of librarians, is that the technical term still, sitting behind a counter, usually on the Internet, and waiting for someone to walk up and ask for help. How about being proactive? OK, my intent isn't to harass the library staff, but their salaries are part of the overall cost of running a library.

Take a page from the Amazon and Netflix book. Streamline the process of delivering content and medium to your patrons.

Photo courtesy of boltron
Share this article

5 comments:

  1. Thom AllenJuly 02, 2010

    Well at least you liked the idea, despite my poor spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea. Adopt is with a p, not a b.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least you liked the idea, despite my poor spelling :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I have access to the latest content viewing tools and can afford my Internet service. I was taught how to research and can do much of it online. It's too bad the majority of the American population isn't there yet.

    I'll bet the reason you find so many using the free Internet access is they can't afford to have it at home. The same with the music and movies. They look to the library to get the latest box sets they can't afford.

    I wouldn't yet get rid of those DVDs and CDs. There are some who lack a computer to download movies or an iPod to listen to music. Where else could you hear -- for free -- the latest Beatles remastered box set? The RIAA isn't going to stand for libraries offering those songs to download for free.

    You found a book on Windows ME? Can't say I need one today, but I'm glad libraries keep books on restoring 1970 Chevelles, repairing 1940s radios, and "The Wrong Stuff" by Bill Lee. Even better, I love browsing a section of the library in a way I could never do on Amazon or Netflix. Standing there, opening a book, reading a chapter or two, and setting it aside to check out is so much more fun than an Amazon search. Trust me, I do both.

    I don't know where you live, but I know libraries already delivering books, checking out digital copies, answering research questions by texting, teaching computer classes, providing free meeting spaces, helping patrons fill out online only forms required by many government agencies, offering books on MP3 devices for those without iPods, serving as local history depositories, and many other uses.

    In short, I'm happy seeing tax dollars helping these organizations try to reach those on both sides of the digital divide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] couple of days ago I wrote how I thought Libraries should adopt the Netflix model, down size the number of facilities and make [...]

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.