Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Development For Old Men


I started listening to a new podcast today, well new for me, called This Developers Life. And aparently I started listening at a great time. The podcast is hosted by Rob Conery and Scott Hanselman. The podcast is a discussion on things technical and not so technical. Great idea, been wanting to do something like this for a while.

Last weeks show Scott made a comment how developers who can't keep up with fast changing technologies, give up and go into management. At first I thought what big balls this guy has to make a statement like that. He was basically saying that if you can't keep up you're a loser, and the only thing left for you is management.

The rest of the day was spent reflecting on my career, the choices I've made, and the direction I am heading. I also wondered if I had made that choice; give up trying and default to management.

The movie title No Country for Old Men popped into my head at one point. I some times feel like that. What to do with old developers. I remembered back to my days during Y2K, and the number of Cobol programmers brought out of moth balls to help remediate code written 30 years ago. For a short while they felt useful again. It must have been exciting to be back in the game.

I digress. Back to Scotts comments, Rob's thoughts, and a follow up interview with a listener named Mark Freedman. I've read Marks blog off and on, and his story is about a technology Manager trying to get back into development, and the struggles he is facing. It's a great read, and I appreciate his openness.

Honestly, I've tried to spend more time in management, and less time coding. It wasn't that I couldn't, or wouldn't, keep up with the fast pace of changing development technologies. My choice, I thought, was for the need to share my experience, mentor other developers, and work on the big picture of projects. I have also used the "I can't keep up" excuse several times, as a way to express my displeasure of development. I think I was really just copping out.

So how do Old Developers get a Country? Well, just because I'm older, and not as fast, doesn't mean I need to shelve my development efforts. Scott and Mark both talk about going solo, forging ahead on your own, and filling multiple roles; developer, manager, entrepreneure. I've freelanced for some time, and I know the grass isn't greener on that side either. That path has it's own unique issues. But the trade off was I get to code, get to manage, and get to innovate. The best of all worlds. I think that could be a great Country for Old Developers, like me.

I'm amazed how much one podcast has affected me. Great job Rob and Scott (and Mark too). I love it when someone makes me think about my own situation, and causes true change. Working on my career plan, which I haven't updated or added to in a long time.

(Image from Firstshowing.net)
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.