Sunday, October 15, 2006

Crappy digital pictures

I'm either a moron (a word I love to use when I describe someone who has no clue), or the camera I have just simply sucks. Here's the deal. I was taking pictures at my wife's 40th birthday party (she will kill me when she reads this), and the majority came out blurry, off color, and seemed to pick up every fleck of dust floating in the air. I was hoping it's the camera. It would b e easier to blame, but it's most likely my not understanding the way the camera works.

After I saw the pictures I took (see them here), I decided to head over to Darren Rowse web site Digital Camera Reviews. I thought maybe I was missing something. Maybe I didn't understand how to use a freakin point and shoot digital camera. The camera in question (oh, I'll get back to Darren's site in a minute) is a Casio Exilim EX-Z57, 5.0 Mega Pixel, 3x Optical. Nice camera, light, small, has a SanDisk UltraII 512MB (USB) card for memory. Large screen on the back to see the photos. But it still takes what I consider to be crappy pictures.There are a number, something like 20, condition settings available; black and white, night time, portrait, kids, sports, and so on. I typically use the indoor or outdoor setting.

Back to Darren's Digital Camera site. I searched for my camera, and no luck. He hasn't done a review and it's not in the online store. Probably because it's an older camera, two years maybe.But

But, I did find a couple of real good tutorials on his Digital Photography School blog. Like, 11 Tips for Better Candid Photography, here, (similar to the party pictures I butchered). I also found this great tutorial, Photographing people from different angles.

Anyway, after looking around, reading, and trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong, I quit. It must be me. I'm going to spend the afternoon using each setting of the camera and taking pictures of the same subject.

I hope this doesn't affect my 356Photos Project. Because I want you all to see my good side.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.