Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Programmers are fat

Yes, we are all geek's, at least most of you reading this. And I'm here to tell you, most programmers are big. Too big. I'm one of them. If you are a hard core programmer who has been doing it for any length of time, it's conceivable you are way too big for your own good, am I right?

Here's the deal. In an effort to please our clients/employers, we sacrifice our own lives all in the name of technology. We sacrifice our health all in the name of meeting a deadline.

I know my previous words are mostly tongue in cheek, and I'm sure there are fewer overweight programmers than I make there out to be. But, looking around some of the development teams over the past few months, and then taking a really good look at myself, yeah, we're big.

See, the problem is, to much programming will lessen your life span. Want to live to see 90, program fewer hours, drink less Rock Star, go on vacation, and for crying out loud, eat a healthy diet.

["all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"] is a great post on a similar problem.

So last night, I took the first step to reducing my overage. I got a membership at a gym. I have grandeur's of looking like my old Marine self again, along with help from these guys. I'll make a good effort (went to the gym at 6AM this morning) and hopefully, I can gain back a few years of my life.

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm genuinely concerned about my fellow geek's. Take control.

Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.