Saturday, March 24, 2007

Would you be the one Gene Simmons calls?

Today I was watching a re-run of Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Nothing real interesting, except that unlike Ozzie Osborne, Gene isn't falling all over himself and speaking in tongues. But, there was a part in the show where Genes family makes him go on a vacation. The first thing Gene does is call a business partner and tells him "I want to meet the most influential people in X city; the Mayor, business leaders, the real estate guru. Make it happen."

It occurred to me after he said this, would I be the on Genes business partner called? If not, why?

If you're in business for yourself, word of mouth is probably your best marketing tool. But are you visible enough to be THE one who is called? I asked myself that question and it's an astounding NO. But why? I imagine the answer is varied based on your capacity to handle new customers or your desired growth.

Think about where you are or where you want to be and decide if you want to be the one Gene Simmons calls when he is looking for the product or service you provide.
Share this article

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd prefer to stay under Gene Simmons' radar. I don't need to be the most influential in my field. I just need to make a decent living and enjoy my life to the fullest.

    I had no idea I felt like that until I read your entry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be contacted by Gene Simmons but for selfish reasons only -- I want to see his tongue in person.

    But seriously I was thinking about this the other day. Getting back to the old saying "it's not what you know, but who you know." Networking and communication is the key to being called out when your services are needed. Expert or not.

    Last month I had a client say to me "I don't want my picture in the paper. I just want more business." My response was "I don't want my picture in the paper either unless that picture leads to business without any expense."

    Press is the cheapest marketing we can do. That's why we blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ash, great comment.

    I think I understand what you're saying. Blogging about our business shows others what our level of expertise is? If you can relate and or feel comfortable with the person, you are likely to purchase their product or service?

    But you have to have an angle, or value proposition, correct? What value would Gene Simmons get from me if I were the one he called for real estate services in Salt Lake City? I'm sure he's hoping for two things; I know the inventory and I know property value. It's the same for any of my clients.

    But the question is, what must I do to be *the* one who gets the call? In my case, I want my picture in the paper as many times as possible. I want customer interaction. I want people to know I'm here. With 6000 other competitors in my space, trying to hear the music through the noise is extremely difficult.

    That's part of the reason you and I had the conversation about niche marketing. Can I target a specific audience and, in this case people who really digg technology, become *the* one they call for my service?

    I'm working on a plan, so I guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith HilliardMay 02, 2007

    Gene Simmons was an inspiration to me growing up, always a life-long fan. I also think the same way he does as far as buisness goes, it's all about me! I've been a personal bodyguard and bouncer for years, and I also have connections that would come in very handy if I were to be contacted by Gene.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.