Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Will you accept mobile advertising?

Advertisers are ready, and once the storm gets rolling, that thing in your hand, cell phone/PDA/CrackBerry, will be the largest target audience since the advent of TV. Billions of users. Even those that don't have TV probably have a cell phone. Advertisers know this, and they are ready to start sending out en-mass.

My thought is this. If I get a few SMS ad messages, I can delete as easily as spam. But if it's something more than that, like an app the carrier installs on my phone, then I have a problem. Or lets say a 10 second ad before your call is connected, that would be so bad I would throw away my cell phone.

CrunchGear talked about GPS advertising. It sort of reminded me of a SciFi show I once saw (can't remember the name), that was playing ads on billboards based on who you were, even using your name in the ad, as the person walked down the street. It was a preview of things to come.

While I believe in a free market, I don't believe in advertisers having access to my mobile just because they can. I knew a guy once who was siphoning satellite with some DIY home brewed receiver. He was able to get all the channels free. He said as long as I have to watch pay channels with ads then I'll watch them for free. Not sure where he is with all that but I can understand his frustration. It's part of the reason I hate to read magazines.

Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.