Thursday, June 28, 2007

Isn’t social networking just contact hording?

There is a lot of hype today about Social Networking. Wikipedia defines a Social Network as
A social network is a social structure made of nodes (which are generally individuals or organizations) that are tied by one or more specific types of relations, such as values, visions, idea, financial exchange, friends, kinship, dislike, trade, web links, sexual relations, disease transmission (epidemiology), or airline routes.

Huh? That sounds like psycho babel. Here is an image of a social network



So basically, the idea is to create an extended network of like minded people for the betterment of the network.

But as I look at the hundreds of "Social Networks" today, all I see are people trying to accumulate the most number of links, emails, track backs, nodes, what ever. I see little networking and trying to build something. I only see contact hording.

For good or for bad, Facebook is a great example of a "Social Network". It encourages its members to create groups, join groups, upload videos and pictures, tell everyone what books you're reading and what music you're listening too. MySpace also encourages its members to link together, post about each others MySpace site, change the look and feel, share music you like, pictures, and now video.

But with all this sharing, we still don't feel each other. Now I'm not trying to get all sappy on you, but its true. If you never actually talk to or see a person live its hard to establish a lasting relationship. That's why mail order brides have never really caught on.

Some folks are taking their Social Networking to the next step which is having local meet-ups, and getting to know each other for real. Chris Brogan does this. Jim Long does this. I'm sure there are many many more that do this too. We have even tried it in Salt Lake City, Utah, with some success, and are trying harder to make it happen more often. With the creation of PodCamps, FooCamps, BarCamps, XCamp and YCamp, people are actually building off-line relationships that strengthen their online relationships.

I encourage you to take your relationships off-line when possible. Start your own PodCamp, BarCamp or SocialCamp. Do it. You'll be surprised. If you can't start one, then go to one. Go to many. Heck make a career out of building and strengthening the Social Networks which already exist. Chris does this.
Share this article

4 comments:

  1. The most recent Wired Magazine points out that the next version of the web will be the semantic web. I'm starting to drink that Kool Aid early.

    The semantic web, if I get it, is not only links but the relationships of all the links. Chris Brogan lives in Massachusetts, but used to live in Maine, and has traveled to X, Y, Z. It's the link between "Chris Brogan" and "Massachusetts," with the context there.

    So I think it's a matter of trying to shore up the social networks we have, and then building from there. How do you make the social network USEFUL is now the issue at hand.

    Really have me thinking on this one, Thom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I made the mistake of using SNS to replace real-life networking, with heavy regrets. No excuse for not getting out there and meeting real people in real space. Balance is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I use social networks, and while I have a few people in there that I don't know well, and even fewer that I don't know at all, for the most part, I've met with or have 'followed' most everyone in the network. Since social networking is about building networks, not necessarily friendships, sometimes its not necessary to befriend everyone in your network.

    Del.icio.us is a great example of this. Its network is set up to provide link tagging. If I find someone in my network that has similar interests to me, then chances are, I'm going to find his bookmarked links, at least in whatever area we have in common, interesting.

    It is also a great platform for creating results in certain circumstances. For instance, the vast networks of Firefly fans have for several years now, made screenings of the movie Serenity for charity a great success.

    Or, if I run into a problem or have a question about podcasting, then I can throw that out to my network of podcasting 'buddies', many of whom I've only met in person once, and some not at all, and I know that I'll get some kind of response, and almost certainly a solution or answer.

    So, if Social Networking is a popularity contest for some, so be it. However, those who have really looked at the great potential of these tools have learned to leverage them in ways to accomplish things, both great and small.

    Now, if only I could find a way to start 'tagging' my buddies so that I could group them appropriately. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I love the tagging your friends idea. It would be great if you could "block" a group of friends by tag like you can block a follower on Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.