Monday, June 11, 2007

Safari for Windows, please no

Is there really room for another web browser on the Windows platform? I guess, maybe, but should it be Safari? Safari on the Mac is the default like Internet Explorer is on a Windows machine. But with options like Opera and FireFox, and there are so many more based on the Mozilla engine, that I was a little taken back when I saw that a version of Safari was available for Windows.

My first question is how many Windows user have used Safari on the Mac let alone even heard of Safari. Probably not many and I'm sure that was the idea, we don't have a user base with a negative view of this browser because it has only been available on the Mac, so lets throw it out there on Windows and see how many people will use it.

I have an iMac and I don't use Safari. I can't stand it. I use FireFox and occasionally have to use Internet Explorer (in Windows) for sites that are insane enough to only work with Internet Explorer. But Safari? What value or advantage does that bring to the Windows experience? None I say. The application will assuredly get thousands of downloads as lookylous try it out but in the end it will take a lot more than that to oust FireFox or Internet Explorer from their perch.

Safari on Windows may be faster, maybe, but will it become the defacto standard just on that feature alone? Give me my FireFox plugins please.
Share this article

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I've got Safari on the Mac - but never use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the main reason for porting to Windows, and the reason a consumer-level app like a browser was unveiled at a developers conference, is because of the news that it is the de-facto platform for getting 3rd-party apps on the iPhone.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.