Saturday, June 30, 2007

Put Your RSS Feed Above The Fold

There is an old media phrase "above the fold", basically meaning any material that is printed at the top of the paper. This is the most read and usually the most important news in the paper. Your website/weblog has a fold too. It's the bottom of a visitors screen, or somewhere near there. Your most important links and content should be above the bottom of the screen.

It may be just me but one of the first things I look for when I am visiting a site is the RSS link. If I think a site is one I want to continue reading after I leave I add them to a my RSS reader. But I hate having to hunt for it. Everyone who writes a blog wants return visitors. The most common way to do this is provide an RSS feed. But more importantly is that you make it as prominent as possible. Most readers look for an icon like this.

RSS feeds are important and I'm not going to get into the mechanics of RSS because it's been written about thousands of time. But help your readers out. Encourage them to subscribe.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.