Friday, June 15, 2007

Photobucket has some cool technology

Matthew Reinbold gave me a pretty interesting demo of Photobucket at the Utah Tech Spotlight today. The site uses technology from Adobe, and aside from the normal sharing of photos, you can also upload video, and create mixes of photos, videos and music providing a basic movie making tool. It's pretty neat. I created a video with some stills and a video and stitched them together into one file. I also uploaded a small video and edited out a portion that was crappy. It all worked pretty good.

After spending a few hours messing around with it, the interface is pretty good (although filled with ads), the tools are fairly fast, not as fast I had hoped but it was ok. I was generally pleased with the way it worked and I was able to create my videos and was provided a link to embed in my blog.

What I don't like is the layout. The links to the various areas (i.e. photos, videos) are not where I would have expected them to be. They are at the bottom of the screen. I'm sure these are things that will be worked out in the future and doesn't make it any less of a product.

I have a Pro account with Flickr, and Photobucket offers a Pro account as well, but both cost the same. There are limitations on space with Photobucket but not with Flickr. I assume the limitation is because you can create videos that probably don't compressed like pictures. I could be wrong.

Anyway, check it out, its free, and there seems to be some interesting technology there. Thanks Matt.
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.