Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Build A Better Blog In 31 Days

In August Darren Rowse of ProBlogger.net ran a series of articles called 31 Days to Building a Better Blog. He encouraged readers to implement his tips and also submit their own. I've never taken on a project as aggressive as this. I'm trying to learn more about successful blogging techniques and I want to learn from others. So while I'm implementing Darren's tips, I'll be presenting my own.
Here is ProBlogger's day one tip: Email a New Reader of Your Blog

My day one tip is this; reduce, if not cut out, your blogroll. Most of you may tell me I'm insane and that's ok, but have you looked at your blogroll lately? I try and click on blogroll links when I'm visiting a website. The site owner must have felt at one time the link was important to them and they wanted to share it. But all too often the links are dead or go to a site I'm sure wasn't intended.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what the value of a blogroll is anymore. I would rather cut out the blogroll, write blog posts about really cool sites I find, and create a category of BlogRoll. Then if someone is interested in seeing your blogroll, they only need to click on the category and start reading. Plus, link backs in a blog post get more mileage than a static link in your sidebar. That's what I'm doing for day one, ditching the blogroll.
Share this article

2 comments:

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.