Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Thank Those Who Comment On Your Blog

Build A Better Blog Day 7

There is no better feeling than to be acknowledged by the person who's blog you've commented on. Blogs are interactive and I know from past experience the disappointment when I comment and there is no response.

Take the time to ask your readers to comment. Ask them what they think. Ask for opposing or supporting views. But once they have commented take the time to respond back, or at the very least write a response that may cover multiple comments. If you get so lucky that you have a lot of comments on a post, at least respond to some of them.

New blogs tend don't always get comments until you have been posting a while or you are blogging a niche that may attract a large target audience. Don't worry too much about the number of comments, just focus on good content and the comments will follow.

ProBlogger's day seven post: Plan Your Next Week's Posting Schedule

Share this article

3 comments:

  1. I am always impressed when a blogger sends me an email thanking me for my comment and telling me they value my contributions.

    What people don't sufficiently appreciate is that when a person posts a comment on your blog, it's generally an enrichment of free user generated content.

    Again: comments are free user generated content, that expands, enriches, and improves your blog. In fact, I'm so extreme on the conversational aspects of blogging, I often say that the comments are far more important than the posts I write.

    Ideas need reaction, tweaking, debate, opposing views, criticism, complaints, corrections. Negative comments are typically far more valuable than flattery and praise.

    You know the heart of blogging, and it shows.

    http://twitter.com/vaspers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great feedback vaspers. I'm going to try and send out a thank you to those who comment on my blog. It's very personal and uncommon.

    Sometimes when I write a post and no one comments I wonder if the content sucked, or the point was stupid, or was it a complete failure to connect with the reader.

    http://twitter.com/ThomAllen

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.