Saturday, October 13, 2007

Linking To Your Archive Posts

Build A Better Blog Day 11

This tip is very simple; when ever you write a blog post try and find a way to link back to an archived post. There are several reasons for this.

  1. Perfect way to lead readers to other relevant posts you've written.

  2. It helps with SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Search engines like Google and Yahoo! like internal link.


There are several blogs on the Internet where they show you the effectiveness if incoming and internal links. One site that I enjoyed and found very valuable was Vandelay Website Design's blog post 3 Powerful Results from Internal Linking. From my own personal experience, without any scientific evaluation, just what I see, external links drive most of the traffic to my blog. Once you've completed a blog post and before you publish, search your site for relevant posts. You might surprised at how many there are.

Link, link, link. I can't say it enough. Take time to link in every post. You may not be able to do it everytime, but try it, you'll like the results. Tell us how you use links on your blog.

ProBlogger's day eleven post: Dig into Your Blog’s Statistics
Share this article

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to my article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure the links are actually relevant, however. If you don't your website will just look spammy.

    I HATE it when Engadget will include a link that is merely a search of their blog for the word I clicked on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura you are right, relevant links are important, and creatinf blog posts just for the purpose of linking isn't a good idea either. Readers will see right through attempts to mislead them.

    Thanks Laura.

    twitter.com/ThomAllen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven it was a great article, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Thom! This recommendation has helped to double my traffic. I have created a top 10 post and a coaching post for my readers. They have links to articles I have written in the past. I use them when I am assisting people with their interview process. I give them one link that has 10-12 links in it and they go from there. I also have links to these two post in my sidebar as an additional resource to my readers. I think I heard it from Darren over at problogger first. I did it and it made a huge difference in my pageviews!!

    Darlene
    Interview Guru
    www.interviewchatter.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene,

    Yes, I think I saw the archive link on Darren's site too, but a good friend of mine also recommended I do it.

    Is this also known as deep linking?

    twitter.com/ThomAllen

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.