Sunday, November 4, 2007

5 Ways I Find Time To Create Media

Another question from Chris Brogan, and one I'm asked a lot, is how do I find time to Blog, Photowalk, Podcast and connect? It's a great question. The simple answer is I just make time. I have set myself up so I can blog or podcast from my laptop or my PDA, and I carry my camera where ever I go so I can capture pictures at events I'm at or when something happens around me. I've also trained my mind when I see something interesting I quickly decide if its something I can blog about. A lot of times I'm taking notes and capturing ideas that I want to blog about later.

Here are some things I do to find time to make media:

  1. Schedule it. Yes, schedule it. I look at my weekly schedule, decide where you can take 1 hour, 30 minutes, even 15 minutes, to create some type media, and block out that time.
  2. I have my blogging and new media tools with me where ever I go. My family thinks its funny that I take a backpack with me where ever I go. In my pack I typically have a laptop, one or more cameras, several Moleskin's, a voice recorder and my iPod. Of course the iPod doesn't let me create media but I can preview media with it.
  3. Each morning I look at my schedule and my blogging list so I know what to be looking for and thinking about during the day.
  4. I use a blogging client on my laptop. Specifically I use Windows Live Writer. This program, besides being free, allows me to post to several blogs, create drafts, manage external content such as photos, audio and video files. I can write on and offline when I have the time. This actually allows me to write in small blocks, which is sometimes all I have.
  5. Process photos, video or audio while you're on the bus, watching TV or waiting in the Doctors office. Use automated processes to upload pictures to Flickr, clean up audio files and compress video. You can even use services such as Jott, Utterz or Twittergram to podcast on the go. You get to record your thoughts on the go and have the services post to your blog. It's pretty fun. Give it a try.

There is one thing I have come to appreciate about creating media and blogging, I need to have my priorities straight. My family is very patient and allows me to spend time pursuing it, but you have to make time for them too. Want more time to be involved in the creation of new media, make sure all your other priorities are in line.

Seriously though, the reason I find time to do a lot of what I do is because I like to participate. I like connecting with others who have the same likes as I do. I like sharing through my blog, my photos and my tweets. You may find the time it takes to engage in all the social networking is more than you are willing to commit. I think that's perfectly acceptable. Do what you can. But most importantly have fun.

Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.