Saturday, November 24, 2007

Do You Know What Facebook’s Beacon Project Is?

I really don't like this Project Beacon from Facebook. Even though I spend time developing applications that use services like Facebook, this one is personal. Take for instance these entries from the main user feed in Facebook:



While I appreciate the ability to advertisers to make connections with customers and their social networks, people have to be concerned with the amount and type of data being pushed around. The problem will be people not understanding or forgetting they can turn this feature off in Facebook.

Take for instance the example in the image above. What if the purchase made on Fandango was a gift for my wife, who is also a Facebook user and a friend of mine. Have I just ruined it without realizing? I think so.

I don't really care if advertisers and Facebook have figured out a way to create a viral buying process, I do care about the exposure its creates. Learn more about Beacon and how to keep yourself from being unnecessarily exposed here.
Share this article

1 comments:

  1. Douglas,

    That is the right area. after reading a few other sites it seems nothing will show up there unless you've visited a site that is partnered with Facebook. I could be wrong but that's how I read it.

    --Thom
    twitter.com/ThomAllen

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.