Friday, November 16, 2007

Attended My First KenCon Tonight

Local writer Ken Rand had his monthly KenCon today at the Barnes and Noble at the Southtowne Mall. KenCon is really has a gathering of local writers who talk about what they are doing, conventions they have been too and share some work with the group.

This was my first meet-up with this group. I feel a little out of place seeing that I'm the only one not yet published. I'm working on it. It was great. The people there tonight are first rate. Here is a list of those I could remember and a link to their site. The fun part about this meet-up was I got to reconnect with an old friend I hadn't seen in 5 or 6 years. Turns out she's running a very successful magazine here in Salt Lake.

Ken Rand - Ken is the grand master of all. He has hundreds of stories several books published including two upcoming books called Pax Dakota and Where Angels Fear. Ken is the host of KenCon aptly named for himself.

Patrick M. Tracy - Paul is a speculative fiction writer. He also writes poems and shared one with us tonight. Fantastic. Love Patrick's writing.

Paul Genesse - Paul has such an energetic and contagious personality. Paul has a book coming out in May 2008 called The Golden Cord, and has been published in various other books.

Eric James Stone - Eric is a science fiction and fantasy writer and has been published in various magazines and books.

Rebecca Shelley - Rebecca has a new book coming out in January called Red Dragon Codex. From what I understand she is a very accomplished writer.

Beth Wodzinski - Beth is Editor-in-Chief of Shimmer, a speculative fiction magazine which is published quarterly.

There was also another couple there who came later and I forgot to get their names. Sorry guys. Maybe someone can help me with that? I also forgot to take pictures, but since it was my first visit I guess its ok.

I appreciate Ken inviting me, I can't wait for the next one. I want to report I've written a lot more of my Novel and short stories by then.

Share this article

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great meetup. Nothing motivates you like meeting people already successfully doing what you dream of doing. I know some people can find that discouraging, and maybe in the past I did too, but of late I've come around to thinking that you need to be surrounded by successful people if you want to be successful. There's an infectious synergy to be gained by hanging with doers instead of dreamers.

    ~Douglas
    -=-
    The Splintered Mind - Overcoming Neurological Disabilities With Lots Of Humor And Attitude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Douglas, yes I agree, surrounding myself with those who are successful is something I've always tried to do.

    The meet up was great. Very informal. Everyone had some great stories and most importantly getting published. It was very cool.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.