Saturday, November 10, 2007

Happy Birthday United States Marine Corps

USMC Today the United States Marine Corps celebrates its 232 birthday. It all happened in Tun Tavern 1775, as you would imagine, recruits were given beer and a chance to server in the newly formed Corps of Marines. The Corps has come a long way, and today they are still the most feared fighting force on the planet. Once a marine always a Marine. You'll never hear someone say they are an ex-Marine, they are former Marines. They will always enjoy the brotherhood of past and current Marines.

When I enlisted in 1984 I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. the recruiter in my High School didn't even have to work hard to get me to enlist. I watched him for several weeks, and his demeanor, attitude and presence was enough for me to realize that was exactly what I wanted to be. I really had no plans for the future and it just seemed right. It has been a unique, humbling and honorable opportunity to have served as a United States Marine.

The Marine motto is Semper Fidelis, or Semper Fi for short, which is Latin for "Always Faithful". Faithful to God, Country and Corps. The Marines' hymn describes exactly what we do:
From the Halls of Montezuma,
To the Shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of UNITED STATES MARINES.

Here is a link to the full song.

Here is a link and another link to the main Marine Corps home page.

Here is a link to a Marines' Prayer.

Here is a link to a great tribute from godaddy.com. Thank you GoDaddy.

Please take time to wish your Marine a Happy Birthday.
Share this article

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Marines! And Thom, thanks for your service. I love working with the Marines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haapy Bithday, Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dan, thank you too. I know you are also serving our Country, and I appreciate all you do.

    @Glenn, happy birthday to you too Brother. Thank you for your service, both as a Marine and Peace Officer.

    Ooh Rah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!

    Semper Fi

    Alex USMC '79-'99

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud to claim the title UNITED STATES MARINE, remember only the FEW AND THE PROUD !!! semper -fi devildogs

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alex Rock on, I wonder if we ever crossed paths. Thanks for stopping by, Semper Fi

    @Jimmy-d thanks for stopping by, and yes, The Few The Proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Marine Corp!!!MY DAD SERVED WITH THE 1ST Marine Div. in the pacific during ww11, PURPLE HEART RECIPIENT!
    MY HUSBAND PUT IN 4 YRS participated in the dominican republic crisis--my cousin Tim, served 8 yrs did 2 tours in Iraq. i recently had a military honor for my dad and the Marines were the epitomy of honor and respect, i'll never forget the slow hand salute paid to my dad as we were leaving the gravesite--it was between them andhim--a true brotherhood. i respect all the military but there is just something about the Marine Corp--HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINE CORP and thankyou for all you do!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.