Friday, November 30, 2007

November Was A Big Writing Month

During the month of November I tried to tackle two writing projects at the same time. I knew I would be blogging so joining the National Blog Posting Month group would be pretty easy. The other project I was attempting was National Novel Writing Month. Arguably the most difficult task to complete in 30 days. So here's how I did:

I managed to write 40 blog posts in the month of November. Those 40 posts garnered 38 comments. Not quiet 1 per post but hey at least someone is reading what I write.

I managed to write 2893 words of my 50,000 word novel. I had reached about 9000 words when I realized the story was going no where and I needed to start over. I know, that was a stupid idea but the story was making no sense and it wouldn't have made a difference. I wanted something that you could read rather than just a bunch of words on paper. So while I didn't write a complete Novel I started one that I hope will end up in as a book one day.

I wrote a flash fiction story for a fellow writer to review. It needs a lot of work, in fact I will re-write the whole thing. Flash fiction is difficult to write. A complete story in under 1000 words. That doesn't give you much room for fluff. But I like what flash fiction teaches; to be concise and to the point. I did learned you can write very creative fiction in a small amount of words.

So in summary I had a pretty good writing month. My goal has been to increase the number of words I write both in blog posts and stories. I haven't even counted the number of words all of my blog posts have captured, but it's over 80,000, close enough for a Novel all by itself.

This month I'm focusing on these areas:

  • A few series I want to write on digital photography and Lifestreaming.

  • Social Media sites like Facebook and Ning. If you've never checked out Ning you need too. It's incredible. I love the layout and the community building. Ning has a strong platform and is pushing the new OpenSocial platform.

  • OpenSocial and Android (mobile API)

  • New Media posts that coincide with PodCampSLC.


So December ought to be fun. What are you doing this month?
Share this article

1 comments:

  1. For a long piece of work, let me suggest an old fashion outline. It doesn't have to be in depth; just let it give you a general idea of how to get from point A to Z. You can always improvise; but this will give your work some kind of structure and structure even in this age is important.

    As for flash fiction, I write flash fiction. I've been published several times. I will be published several more times before it's over. Not because I'm full of myself as the previous sentence may give the impression of (editors don't publish you because you talk the talk but because you walk the walk); but becuse for myself I've figured out several parameters for writing flash fiction that keep me out of trouble. Check out my blog and you'll see what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.