Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Backing Up Your Trusted System

CameraI'm finding that most people never think twice about backing up the things they write in a notebook. They feel secure in the fact you can't break a notebook. This gives them a false sense of security. You can just as easily lose your analog trusted system as you can a digital one.

I spent some time last night and today searching for someone who had a backup problem with their trusted GTD system. There's plenty of hack information available, but I tried just about every possible method I could think of to find something someone may have written or suggested. I just couldn't find anything. So I decided to create a list of things I do (or should have been doing) to back up my notebooks and other documents.

  • If you are carrying your trusted system with you on a trip, store the notebooks in a plastic baggy of some kind with n airtight seal.

  • During your weekly review make sure you are transferring important information to a backup notebook (which stays in your home or office) or an electronic device like a computer or PDA.

  • Take a digital photograph of each page in your notebook. You can store these pictures on your computer, your PDA or online with a service like Flickr.

  • Scan each page of your notebook. This has the same affect as taking a snapshot only you probably get a cleaner image.

  • Put a trusted system backup on your schedule. Typically you schedule a backup of your computer, make sure you add a trusted system back up too.


These are just some options you can take to prevent complete data loss if your trusted system disappears.

What are your suggestions for backing up your trusted system?
Share this article

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Thom!

    I live and breathe by my 4x6 daily action cards, that include my day's exercise routine, food log, time-sensitive tasks, and 10 MITs. I keep past action cards in a little recipe box at home, and if I was ever in a jam I imagine going back through the last few weeks would allow me to recreate all my important current tasks and projects. (I actually keep them for use in brainstorming new projects, but backup is a good idea too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've used cards in the past, in fact I'm looking at about 5 packs of 3x5 cards unopened. Tried the hipster PDA, but wasn't quiet what I was looking for. I do have the gym workouts on cards though, they work great.

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.