Monday, November 19, 2007

Men And Woman Never Shop The Same

The shopping season is upon us. The time of year I dread most. I'm not a shopper. And I have a hard time being around people who are shoppers. Here is how I shop:

  1. I need something new, say a dress shirt

  2. There are a couple of stores I like to shop at, I've prioritized them, and I go to the first one

  3. I go right to the clothing section

  4. I quickly scan the area for something that catches my eye

  5. I look for my size and a nice color

  6. I look at the price tag, if its within reason I keep it, if not I put it back

  7. I may or may not try it on. I know what fits me and I will wait until I get home before trying something on. I figure the odds are in my favor it will fit so why waste time trying something on at the store?

  8. I repeat the process if I'm getting more than one item

  9. Head to the checkout counter

  10. Pay the cashier and I'm out


I rarely if ever browse. Once in a while I might mosey on back to the electronics to see what is new. I never buy, but I look. I hardly ever buy the impulse items. I feel accosted by all that crap and refuse to buy it. If you have kids you know what I mean.

Now, this is how my wife shops:

  1. Spend hours looking at ads in the mail and newspaper. We subscribe to the newspaper the last two months of the year so she doesn't miss any of the "good" ads

  2. Take all of the research to the mall

  3. Go from store to store, whether its on the list or not

  4. Look at everything in the store, and more often than not walk out with nothing

  5. Try everything on, at least 6 items at a time or more

  6. Fill a cart full to overflowing

  7. Spend the next hour putting most of it back

  8. Stand in long lines for hours

  9. Buy several of the impulse items because they would make great stocking stuffers

  10. Carry ten bags around each weighing in at thirty pounds

  11. Bring home more than you intended and spend the next several days deciding what goes back to the store


OK, some of that is exaggerated. But honestly, the shopping experience during this time of year is very stressful to me. I'm a go in and get it kind of shopper. It's not that I don't want to shop, it's that I can't stand fighting through crowds to get the big sale items. It's just not worth it to me.

What about you? How do you shop? How does your significant other or friends shop?
Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.