Friday, November 23, 2007

WordPress Plug-ins I Use And Why

My WordPress blog uses several plug-ins, and I thought I would share with you what they are and why I use them.

  • Akismet: Comment spam prevention. This is an essential plug-in for any blog.
  • All in One SEO Pack: This plug-in helps me build SEO friendly links.
  • Comment Referrers: This give me additional information when someone posts a comment. Its sent to me via the notification email and doesn't appear any where on the blog.
  • Comment Timeout: I use this to lock comments on posts so many days after I post them.
  • Counterize II: This is a great statistics plug-in. I'm using this because I'm trying to find a really statistics program for WordPress.
  • Dunstan-style Error Page: This plug-in allows me to create a custom 404 error page.
  • Easy Tube: This plug-in helps me embed YouTube videos in a post.
  • Enforce www. Preference: I like my blog URL to be www.digitalthom.com. When someone enters digitalthom.com it basically prepends www to incoming URL.
  • Exec-PHP: This plug-in allows me to add PHP code top posts or widgets.
  • Executable PHP widget: This is a plug-in that lets me add PHP specific widgets to the sidebar.
  • Feed Locations: This plug-in allows me to change the default location of my RSS feed.
  • Fotobook: Small plug-in that allows me to integrate my Facebook Photos. It integrates right into my blog and works better than the Flickr photo albums I've tried.
  • Full Feed: This plug-in creates full posts in my RSS feed.
  • Gravatar: Some themes require this plug-in to allow users avatars show in comments.
  • iWPhone: This is a plug-in/theme specifically for the iPhone. I use this for all my iPhone readers.
  • Link Harvest: I'm testing this plug-in to see of it has any value to my readers. It basically takes all links referenced in posts and pages and creates a collapsible list.
  • Most Commented: This plug-in creates a small list of the most commented on posts.
  • Popularity Contest: This plug-in shows a popularity percentage on each post.
  • Recent Comments: This plug-in shows the last number of comments made.
  • Recent Posts: This plug-in shows me the last number of posts.
  • Related Entries: This plug-in displays 5 links that relate to the current post.
  • Secure and Accessible PHP Contact Form: This plug-in allows me to create a secure comments form.
  • Spam Karma 2: This plug-in eats spam for lunch.
  • SpotMilk: This plug-in changes how the administrative tool looks, like a skin, well, it is a skin.
  • Subscribe To Comments: This plug-in gives my readers the ability to subscribe to comments via email. I use this so readers can track comments on a post.
  • WordPress Heat Map: this plug-in creates a heat map collection of post tags.
  • WordPress Mobile: This plug-in makes my blog mobile accessible. I use this plug-in for all my PDA users.
  • WP-ShortStat: This is a statistics plug-in.
  • WP-UserOnline: This plug-in shows me who's online reader in real time.
  • WP-UserOnline Widget: This is the widget that actually shows who's online.
  • WPhone: This plug-in allows me to manage my blog from a mobile phone.
  • WP lightbox 2: This plug-in blows up images in a blog post making them easier to see.

That's it. Not too many but they really help me keep this blog running.

What do you use on your blog, WordPress or not?

Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Thom Allen Weblog • All Rights Reserved.